ITTF-Oceania Personal Honorary Membership awarded to James Morris
May 11, 2022
On the 30th April, during the 2022 ITTF-Oceania Annual General Meeting (AGM) James Morris received ITTF-Oceania Personal Honorary Membership. ITTF-Oceania Personal Honorary Membership is given to officials who have given outstanding service for their lifetime of work to ITTF-Oceania.
James is one of New Zealand’s longest serving and hardest working players and administrators enjoying a decorated career for over 40 years.
Here are some of James’ achievements:
- James played in the very first ITTF-Oceania Championships held in Auckland 1978 and gained a silver medal in singles. James had a successful playing career travelling the world to play in high-level events.
- In 1982, James ran a coaching clinic with Table Tennis Australia coach Eric Coster for coaches in the Pacific region during the ITTF-Oceania Championships held in Sydney.
- From 1996 to 2004, James was the Table Tennis New Zealand National Coach and High-Performance Director.
- In 2003, James organised and ran the ITTF-Oceania Championships in his hometown of Whangarei, New Zealand where 13 pacific countries participated.
- James coached the New Caledonia National Team for many years and organised their players to participate in the New Zealand National Championships on the journey to improve.
- He conducted an IOC solidarity course for ITTF in the Cook Islands.
- Served on the ITTF-Oceania Management Committee from 2008 until 2014 when he was appointed ITTF-Oceania President. He resigned in 2017 to take up the position of ITTF Executive Vice President.
- Attended the Rio 2016 Olympic Games as a jury member.
During his time on the ITTF-Oceania Management Committee, he had a strong desire and vision to make ITTF-Oceania more professional through developing a strategic plan and securing more investment from ITTF. This was realised in 2017 where funding was lifted considerably and allowed ITTF-Oceania to employ 5 staff in various crucial roles to take the organisation forward and implement the 2017 – 2020 ITTF-Oceania Strategic Plan.
James has conducted himself in a professional manner, characterised by his excellent attitude and behaviour and being a positive role model. He is a worthy personal honorary member of ITTF-Oceania.